Alex ‘Double Denim’ Turgeon from Halifax, Nova Scotia is a poet slash e-book publisher currently doing an artist residency just outside Vilnius, Lithuania. He’s working on a project he calls ‘The Asshole as the Origin of the World’, an idea he thinks is ‘important to consider’.
Ten other fascinating tidbits of information we learned about Alex this week:
1. Alex is proud to declare that he did not read any of the ‘Fifty Shades of Grey’ e-books, and probably won’t see the movie either — for him the whole franchise is a major turn off.
2. Alex wants to expand the conception of how a book operates. He can really appreciate something like Dennis Cooper’s GIF novel, Zac’s Haunted House.
3. Alex is all about quality control.
4. Lately, Alex has been really into reading bara manga, like ‘Endless Game’ by Gengoroh Tagame, on his tablet.
5. Alex finds baseball caps sexy and, for the time being, he and his denim cap are inseparable. He wears it outdoors and in, dressed and undressed.
6. You could say Alex is an outdoorsy kind of guy. Growing up, he spent a lot of time walking his dog, building forts and letting his imagination run wild in the woods.
7. Alex thinks there is something quite sexual about Nature.
8. As a Canadian, he knows what snow is, but the novelty wears off by the time May comes around.
9. Alex likes his poutine with ‘the works’ — gravy, cheese curds (‘appropriate cheese curds are crucial’) and fried onions, which he sometimes amps up with chili.
10. Alex has always wanted to go to Vietnam.